August 30, 2012

Thrifting 101

One word: Thrifting.

I have been doing this alot lately. And I've been styling gals, by going thrifting...
Let's face it girls, It's not always easy to throw down $300 for 3 somewhat unique items, when there is a thrift store down the road from where you live... And believe me, I like shopping as much as the next person, or maybe even more! You know the saying, Shop till you drop? I go way past the dropping point, I sometimes wear out my clients, but in turn, I find what there looking for! But anyways, we like to be unique creatures, and sometimes stores don't give us the freedom to explore unique options, so we turn to thrifting.

If you are however, grossed out by wearing someone elses old clothes, It's normal to be. But a good washing usually does the trick! If by chance you pick an item that smells like BO, Don't buy it!
But, you can find fabulous finds, if you look hard enough! Like vintage leather purses, leather belts, skirts, button up collared shirts, cardigans...etc. And then there are times when you can find items you can DIY, Which I love! More on that subject later : )

 Just last week, I styled Julianne at a Goodwill here in Saginaw TX.

She bought 7 pieces of clothing and didn't pay over $55.00. If she were to buy 7 pieces in an actual store for quality pieces, her bill would have been over, let's say well over $200 hundred!
She bought some incredible pieces too! And looks that she could intermingle with her other wardrobe. Her favorite store is: Anthrpologie. And all of the pieces look like they came from there that she bought at goodwill.

You want to buy pieces, that fit with your style and that fit you. You don't want to buy something that you with never wear! That just doesn't make sense to me! If you don't love it, don't buy it!
Unless you see it as a project and you will love it after you done making adjustments on it! : )

For me, as a stylist and when I go shopping with a client, I'm there to give support & see things that, you may miss. I love my job. It's great. And it gives my clients a confidence to be beautiful!


This happened with another client:
The unfortunate thing is you may hit bumps & ruts when thrifting, when you don't buy as much because the price is too high for 2 shirts. When you are paying $18.00 for 2 shirts, that's a little high, I think. So be mindful. The most you want to pay is between $1.00-$6.00 for woven shirts!
 

So then you can find great accessories when thrifting! I don't usually go for shoes, I've only bought two pairs of shoes in all the times of been thrifting! One for $4 and one for $8... So, then I found a cute oxblood(big color for fall) clutch for $5 and one time I found a monogrammed leather coach purse for $4! And then of course you can find scarves and ponchos for low low price!


You see, you can make really cute outfits with almost any type of clothing! It just takes some effort to find the perfect piece(s) to buy at a thrift store... Or a regular store for that matter! But once you find that piece, your outfits will look oh so cute!

No comments: