November 18, 2013

Tippies & trickies: market place know how

So last weekend I did my third etsy marketplace. It was a two day event and it was the best so far! 

I thought for this post I would give you tips and tricks into how to set up & decorate your booth... I only wish I had read something like this when I was first starting out! Instead I had tablecloths made out of bed sheets and burlap! (Because, you know, burlap will cover multitude of sins) Oy vey! My problem the first year was that I sweat the small stuff. But I wasn't detailed. I didn't have a plan. And I was unorganized. Fortunately for me, the first time I made a good size profit. But the second time I did it, I made just enough to cover the booth rental. Not good! The second time, my booth was so chaotic, I'm surprised people actually came into my booth! It was like something blew up! Terrible merchandising! I was so focused on making a profit, I wasn't thinking of the customer.  I had bits and bobs but I didn't have the whole picture. But I needed to think LIKE the customer. I had to look at it through a different perspective.

And one of my favorite things to do is, when I'm out shopping, I like to look at anthropologie's, madewell's, small boutiques that I love the decor of, take not and added it to my to-do and possibly make something like it for a display. 
When I'm shopping I like the racks to be neat and orderly. Not a chaotic explosion happening. I also like there to be a flow and a calm color palette! 

I'm also intrigued with how other vendors decorate their booths. So I keep an eye out for that too!

This time around, I put some thought into it! (And money) which definitely helps! 

But if you're on a budget, which I was too, don't get me wrong, I would invest in some of these things...

-Table cloths. Worth every penny! And those pennies weren't too pretty either, for 2 tablecloths that I can use over & over again only set me back $30! (That was with shipping included!)  www.tableclothsfactory.com

-Banner with your business name on it. I actually had a chalkboard made for me. But you need something that greets your customers and onlookers and shows them who you are. But, I suggest you, A. Make a banner yourself B. get one off of vistaprint or C. Do what I did and invest in something you'll use again, whether it be a chalkboard, dry erase board, etc.

-Chairs.  Chairs for you to sit on. I actually re-upholstered those ugly padded folding chairs, but you're more than welcome to use any chair. But you need a chair or two, to rest. Because most likely you'll be standing a long time on concrete flooring if you don't bring a chair... Ouch! 

-Business cards. Best investment ever! For the customers you have and for the onlookers that say they'll be back. It's always nice to send them with your info in tow. Just in case... They don't make it back to your booth. I get mine from www.vistaprint.com 

-Well made displays & accessories for those displays. So so important! I bought pegboard, then I had a large frame that I inherited from my grandpa, then I let my ever so clever brother in law, put it together for me and I bought the pegboard hangers, and that was probably one of the best ideas I've ever had! And my lovely friend Mary let me borrow her easel! Perfect! Also it's nice to have the perfect packaging. I ordered a stamp online that had my business name on it, then I used that for all of my packaging. So streamlined, organized & adorable.

Also, befriend your booth neighbors. They'll help you the most throughout the weekend! And also have friendly people working at your booth. Everybody likes a friendly face! And when you need to go potty the other person can watch your booth and vice versa...

I will say this, let Home Depot & hobby lobby be your friends. It'll help. Also think over the details. And imagine what you want your booth to look like and draw it out. Have a sketch of how you want you tables to be set up, where you want your displays to go and what not...

If you haven't noticed, I wanted my booth to have a touch of rustic, anthro vibe to it! And I definitely achieved it!

Oh and and I'd say, depending on how big your booth is, you should have 2-4 people help with set up & tear-down. It was perfection who helped me. 

If you have any questions, you know where to find me! Just comment below or email me: maudecclothing@gmail.com : )

-Ryn




No comments: