August 30, 2013

DIY Friday: watercolor notecards


I must admit these were one of the funnest DIY's to make! They are just what I wanted. I've always wanted to try painting watercolor, but never have had the chance, this rendition of watercolor. :) 

These remind me of some plates I bought at anthropologie a few years ago. They are paint by numbers but then water colored over it. (If that makes sense) They are still my favorite plates. 

But I love hands-on projects because they're just so much fun! And I don't mind getting my hands dirty. (My favorite subject in school was science because it was hands-on! Just and FYI!)  


This DIY is so easy, so artsy and so fancy, you may not want to write a note on it, but give a whole set to a friend or hostess at a party or frame them and hang them on your wall. The great thing is you get to change! 


Disclaimer: I am not saying I'm an watercolor artist at all! I just really like art in all forms.


Here is how you make them-

What you'll need: 
Paper plate
Glass of water
A pack of blank cards in brown paper or white. (I bought mine at hobby lobby for $4.99, but probably got it on sale for 50% off)
Watercolor paints
Art Brushes


1. Grab your art board or in this case, a priority box! Hah!  

2. And these are the cards I used.

3. I've had this set for forever! Some of the colors were even hardened : (

4. Grab a glass and fill it with water. The paint won't adhere to the glass. 

5. The paintbrushes I used. My favorite was the horsehair. It gave it a dry brush look.

6. Put your desired colors on your plate. 

7. Then dip your paintbrush in the water, then in the paint and then on the card.



8. Then paint whatever you you desire! That's the fun of it all, you can imagine it and paint it! 


Have fun with this project! I know I did! : )
Happy Friday & I hope you have a lovely Labor Day weekend! ( and if you or someone you know who served in the military is reading this, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to you! You have impacted my life, and protected it too! For that I am so grateful! Thank you again!) 



Love you all! -Ryn


No comments: