July 19, 2013

DIY Friday: v-neck redo





When you think about constructing a garment, it may be a bit daunting, but it really isn't. Especially a t shirt.  You just need the fabric, the pattern, the seeing machine, the iron, the thread. With this project I'm taking some of the steps out of it. 

This project does take a sewing machine... 
But if you have a crew neck or a short vneck that you want to customize into a longer vneck, this is the DIY for you! ; ) 

I'm all about longer v-necks. It looks better on my décolletage. And you can buy men's t-shirts for the roominess & bagginess without compromising a femininity in a t-shirt. 

What you'll need: 
Sewing machine
Pins 
Thread 
T-shirt (I got the tshirt from target men's section)
Knit
Embroidery thread 
Needle

(You can also do a u-neck. But make sure when you cut the neckline you curve the cut. )


I used a patterned rayon jersey as the 
"new" neckline, and I must say, I wouldn't probably make more necklines with material, unless the tee is rayon jersey aswell. 

Iron out any wrinkles the neckline fabric has. And starch it. 
Then cute a strip about 20"x2 1/2in.




Fold the fabric over and starch and iron.

I serged the edge of my neckline, but if you do not have a serger, just use the raw edges.
Then you'll want to find the center front & back, by using the shoulder seams back to back, pin together.. Mark the centers, And then eyeball where you want you V to start. The cut. Back to front. Starting at the neckline seam and then gradually making a longer V.

See?

Then mark the center back. And the middle of the neckline strip.
Then pin the middle of neckline to the center back. 
Use your sewing machine and start sewing. 

Stitch a second seam.


Sleeves:
I then folded the sleeves. Folded the sleeves up twice.
Pin the sleeves in place.
Then use your needle and embroidery thread to stitch 1/4in segments 3in apart. Totaling to 4 segments each sleeve.

Any then you are done! 

It was a bit complicated but not terrible! If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask! Here's my email: www.styledbyryn.com :)

Have a great Friday! -Ryn

No comments: