September 10, 2013

Tippies & trickies: Sales associate etiquette

We've ALL been there, where we have been treated rudely by sales associates in stores we're shopping or browsing in. Then you sit there and think, "What just happened?". And then plan evil scenarios in your noggin of how to get back at them...

But how was your demeanor? How were you acting? Were you friendly and kind? Did you walk into the store with a smile on your pretty lil face?
Or were you bossing the employees around? People respond to a positive attitude & persona.

When you walk into a store, and you have a scowl on your face and are rude, chances are people won't want to wait on you. They won't go that extra mile to be nice to you. If you do that you'll probably be getting unpleasant right back at ya! 

How do you hold yourself in a store. You're body language says a WHOLE lot about you. And sales people tend read it or play off of it. 

Just like going into the cosmetic section at a department store, whether you had great self image or if you didn't have great self image that day, those ladies will devour you sometimes, and the minuscule amount of self image that you do have, has completely vanished into thin air after going into that department! They will try and sell you things you know you don't need, but they'll sell it to you by digging into your self image first. If you walked in and you really did like your make-up that day, and a make-up artist came up and started saying, " You NEED me to do your make-up! You look awful..ly tired, let me perk you up."
Kinda rude right? But they are trained to mess with you self image. whether it be with tiredness, pimple-y, wrong lip color, etc. Be careful. But also be nice. If you don't want or need help and someone comes up to you and asks if you need help, just No, but thank you. It's ok to say no. But just don't forget to use your words.

I have some tragic/humorous stories for you:

One time I was attending Fashion night out at my local Neiman Marcus. I was with my mom and we made our way over to Eileen Fisher for mom to look at the collection. Well, at the time I was 23. I felt pretty cute and I was just voicing my opinion(as I always do!) to mom at something she had picked up. Well this sales associate walks up, greets us, shares her name, etc. Then while we're still shopping, she turns to me and promptly says; You know you, A cowl neck makes you look younger... Um, I'm only the ripe age of 23... But yes, ok thanks? But all I did was say Thank you.

Another time when shopping at Neiman's, this time it was at the beloved Northpark. I was shopping in the splendid department. I was tired, I was slouching, knew I needed to stand up straight, but didn't. Well, an older sales associate came up & promptly says to me; Awe when are you due? I looked at her blank faced and said, Oh, I'm not pregnant. Then which I thought she would say "Oh I'm so sorry!". She didn't do that at ALL! I believe she said, "Oh well, the way you were standing, looked like you were! and then she walked away. Yes, that's what slouching looks like... It ain't pretty!

The other day, I went into Ulta, on probably one of the worst days ever! I was so cranky that day! Anyway, I was getting what I wanted & checking out. I had heard a lot about the new Benefit face primer, well it was just sitting there and I was playing with it and had just put it on the back of my hand, near my thumb, then the girl quickly, picked up a spray bottle and started spraying on the opposite side of my hand. First off, I wish she had told me, she was going to spray me, maybe tell me what she was doing, not just assume I knew what was going on.(since I don't particularly like things coming at me.)  Next, as I said before, she sprayed (it was water) me on the other side near my pinky finger. and said, "see look, look how it's beading up on your hand.' I didn't want to disappoint her, but I then said, "Um, I put it on over here." the she said, "No See look, it's beading up." And Then again I said, "well I applied it over here, that's just my skin!" I then picked up my purchase and left. Ugh, it was irritating!

Okay story time is over... So yes, there can be not so bright sales associates. Buuut then, you have such amazing sale associates, you just want to shrink them down and put them in your pocket, they are so good! I just love them! They go the extra mile & are so wonderful!
I think some of my most favorite experiences are from: Nordstrom (Northpark), Madewell (Fort Worth), Fossil (Southlake). They have the best people at these places. Yes, everyone has a bad day. We ALL have foibles from day to day. The important thing to remember is, that sales associates are people too! They are not there just to wait on you. and to be treated like poo from people like you & I. Be considerate, mature, nice, happy, fun, & funny. And usually, once you break the ice, you become a loyal customer & They become a loyal sales associate!

The thing that sometimes gets to me is, when I walk into a store and the sales people are talking amongst themselves, and they don't even acknowledge that you've even entered the store. I just have ignore that, I have to forgive. And that doesn't mean I will never again shop there. But I may talk to a manager from time to time about something that happened in their store. They want a comfortable inviroment for each one of their customers. Because they know if the customer is happy, chances are the customer will spend money. 


When I'm not being ignored,
I tend to act like sales people are my friends and we've known each other for forever. I just love comunicating and building relationships. I love giving & receiving compliments. It helps to break the ice, of just being a sales associate & more of a girlfriend talking about fashion & beauty! 

Some tips to make your life a lil easier with sales associates: 
-Smile
-Make eye conact
-Make a joke
-Compliment them
-Ask for their opinion(you don't have to necessarily take their advice, but at least you asked.)
-Be kind
-Ask how their day has been going
-Make small talk
-Ask if their is anything you can do for them (coffee, prayer, snack, etc.)

If you've been in retail( or you shop a lot,  and you have anything more to add, please don't hesitate to comment! I'd love to here more tips!

I hope y'all have had a great week so far! Love ya, Ryn

No comments: