April 19, 2013

DIY Friday: Elbow Patches




Since it's a bit chilly where I live, its still a great time to utilize sweaters! And by borrowing from the boys, we can add elbow patches to sweaters or anything that has long sleeves, and have be oh so chic!
 
 

What you'll need:
Marker
Pattern
Fabric (I've used everything from sequins to denim to moleskin! You can pretty much use anything)
Embroidery thread
Needle
Scissors
Pins
Iron


What you'll want to do is try on your sweater, stand in front of a mirror, bend one elbow, take a marker and put an X where the tip of your elbow is, then repeat.

Then you'll want is take the pattern of the elbow patch, lay it on the fabric of your choice, cut out the patch.

Next lay the sweater on a flat surface, elbows facing up, where you can see them.

Then place the patches on the X part, try to make them even. Then you'll pin the patches in place.
 
 

You will then thread your needle with embroidery thread (it come with 6 strands I use 3 strands, since its a bit thick using all 6) and I like to use the blanket stitch, but you can use any stitch you'd prefer!

(Here is a tutorial for blanket stitching : HERE)

And run a stitch along the borders of the patch onto the sweater. I usually fold under the raw edges and stitch, you are more than welcome to leave the raw edge and every time you wash your sweater you'll see frayed edges, which would be cool! P

Then you will tie off, and I say press it with the touch of a hot iron!

And then you'll have an awesome kind of sweater!

One other thing you could do is change out the buttons, maybe to some chic flashy buttons. It takes any ordinary sweater to the next level for sure!


 
You'll want this shape... But it doesn't have to be perfect!!!
Yayyyyy!

XO -Ryn

4 comments:

Lyndsay Almeida said...

These are just fab! I like to add patches to Kingston's shirts and jackets... gives them that "pop". :))

Ryn B. said...

Thanks Girl! I love them too! Oh I bet Kingston looks adorbs with them on his sweaters! Awe he's such a cutie! Thanks so much for the comment!
- Ryn

futuregirl said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'm so happy you linked to my tutorial. Thank you! :)

Ryn B. said...

You bet! I would want to know if someone did that with a blog post of mine! : ) Thanks for your blog post!!! - ryn