April 24, 2013

Style find: Pantone colors

When I was teaching my second class back in february, one of the ladies asked me such a great question! She had asked me: if I use Pantone color system, when determining what fabric colors to pick for the season?

And I told her this:
I rarely check the Pantone colors each season. I mean I look, but I don't necessarily use them in my wardrobe! (Since I gravitate towards neutral colors anyways) But they do have an app for Pantone colors. It's $9.99 just for an app.

To me, The Pantone panel, are there to make money. For every season they pick about 14 "in" colors. And the fashion industry runs with it and they try to lure you into the buying trends you won't need/want in the future. Just remember, back in fall of 2011 the new hot color was Bordeaux then in fall of 2012 they renamed the same exact color, oxblood!

So I mean, be cautious of what colors you are be swindled into buying.

If you bought a pair of sea-foam green colored jeans last year, and then your considering buying a pair of mint jeans that just has a different name... try and run through you closet in your mind. And see if you have anything that is similar in your closet. You probably don't need the garment your thinking of purchasing!

I'm not saying to give in to trends or colors, I'm just saying don't be fooled by the name changes. I still like color! But I usually buy colors that I like and what I know I'm going to wear for a long amount of time! Like I've said before, I buy a lot of neutrals. And I really like to pair colors with each neutral outfit I wear. Imagine an all black outfit and then you add a rockin' mean cuff bracelet or necklace, pretty awesome right? You can add any color to a neutral outfit, and pretty much hit it out of the park!

So be mindful of the games retail stores play with you!
Not to say, you shouldn't buy the new up and coming colors coming out! I totally do that myself! I fancy the colors coming out, and I try to update my wardrobe with a couple pieces!

Here are Pantone spring "it" colors:




No comments: