December 22, 2012

Day 21: Holly Isely - my favorite things


Hello all! Holly here and today I am going to talk about some of my favorite things! I am a lover of all things hair, make up, fashion, and art. That’s a pretty broad span of interests but I think they all correlate pretty well! Those things listed above, allow you to express yourself and who you are! Sure, we all do our hair and make up but we don’t all look the same and that’s what I like about it. It gives us an outlet for expression!
Growing up I was never really taught how to properly apply make up. I learned through trial and error based on what I’d seen in movies or on t.v. So, I guess you could say I “winged it” and I’m not talking about my eyeliner. I started wearing make up in the 9th grade, a.k.a “The Awkward Years” (Braces, slightly curly hair that needed to be tamed, you get the picture) and I knew the basics of where everything was supposed to go; Foundation = face, Blush = Cheeks, Mascara = Eyelashes, etc. But, somehow I was never able to achieve the looks I saw on t.v. or in the magazines.
After many years of hits and misses and a random search for “ How to get hair like Taylor Swift “ I stumbled upon what is now one of my favorite things, YouTube. You may be thinking, “YouTube?! How can you stumble upon YouTube? Haven’t you seen the multitude of laughing baby videos as well as the cat videos?!” If you’re thinking this, then you are right. I have seen those videos and was an avid user of YouTube. But, I was totally unaware that every day girls, just like me, were out there posting videos about the very things I was searching for - Skin care, hair, make up, fashion, and art!
Here are some of my favorite YouTube beauty guru’s (as they’re called in cyber-land!)
MakeupByTiffanyD
Tiffany is honestly one of my all-time favorite beauty guru’s! She is fun to watch and is very knowledgeable about products and has some great tips, I’m sure you’ll find helpful.
gossmakeupartist
He is a male make up artist that has some amazing tips and tricks for any and all
skin issues or make up questions you may have. He’s also very knowledgeable about what techniques work for different people.
amarixe
Allison is so much fun! I look forward to her videos - she’s got great energy and features a lot of both high end and low end beauty products. She also has amazing make up tutorials.
beautydepartment
Lauren Conrad (from the Hills and Laguna Beach) started a really fun website called thebeautydepartment this website features tons of tutorials for hair, make up, nails, etc.
missglamorazzi
Ingrid is another fun girl to watch! She’s got cute style and great hair + a fun personality! She does great reviews and tutorials.
CarahAmelie03
Carah is a hairstylist and make up artist. She’s got great tutorials and the cutest little girl.
emilynoel83
Emily is extremely well-spoken, she’s got such a fun personality and does amazing reviews. If I’m ever thinking about investing in a product, I always check to see if Emily has a review on that item.
LetsMakeitUp1
Kailey does some amazing hair tutorials. I’ve tried several of her hair ideas out and have enjoyed every one of them! She’s got a fun personality and is really easy to watch!
Ok, all you instagram fanatics!Earlier I mentioned liking art. One of my favorite things is typography! Since childhood I’ve enjoyed beautiful lettering and illustration. Below are a few of my favorite instagrammers!
@daniroxanne
Amazing illustration, typography and style
@zacharysmithh
Type and Graphic Design
@blushshop
Really pretty fashion posts
@annariflebond
She’s an amazing illustrator and painter. Her products can be found in places such as Anthropologie and Paper Source.
@theamyclarke
Amy’s an amazing make up artist and posts great pictorials.
I hope this helps you all in your hair and make up endeavors and inspires you to try something new! Have a blessed weekend and a Merry Christmas! -Holly

No comments: