December 8, 2012

Day 8: Tiah Bounds - Give Me An Old Fashioned Christmas

My name is Tiah, otherwise known as Happy Tiah ;) Originally a hair designer from Washington, I've since married the man of my dreams, moved to Canada, became a pastor's wife, and had a beautiful baby boy! My life has become about letting the Creator create through me in every area, especially in art, fashion, interior design, and any other quirky medium that comes my way. I find art to be a beautiful language to communicate the Word of God!

 

                                                                       Via: Shorpy Blog

I miss those Christmases at my great grandma’s house. So many of my best Christmas memories are tied to my time with her. Oh, that 50's fridge with vanilla ice cream and root beer stored inside! I miss the bowls of m&m’s stashed all over the house. The 70's shag carpet and television surrounded by brightly painted mint walls. I miss the bronze stars scattered in such random places from the deco era. And I cant forget to mention the awesome silver tinsel tree! All brought to a crescendo during the big family get-togethers at this house where we would celebrate my great grandma’s birthday on Christmas Eve, even though her actual birthday was on Christmas (how cool is that?) I look back fondly on ordering Chinese food from the Ming Wah, as non-traditional as that may have been. There was nothing better than enjoying each other’s company and taking in the quirky atmosphere. I fondly remember the giant blue spruces covered in snow. I still recall with laughter looking out the window as a child in hopes of seeing the small plane that flew by every year painted to look like Santa’s sleigh, even though I was never fooled.

Those memories never get old! I know as you get older and you have a new family of your own that it’s good to make new memories, but I can't help but want to add in some of these sweet childhood memories from my favorite time of year. What are your favorite holiday memories? As for me, this year I'm totally going to go for a 50's theme for my Christmas! Now that I have a wonderful husband and sweet baby of my own, I can't wait to share with them the fond memories of this amazing great grandma who LOVED her birthday! During her last few years on this earth, we celebrated her birthday everyday just because it made her so happy! She lived the most beautiful life I've ever witnessed all the way to 101 years of age. I strive to be a strong Christian woman just like her!


Merry Christmas! Have fun! You're never too old to have the kid in you come out from time to time. ;)
       - Tiah




No comments: