December 3, 2012

Day 3: Holly Isely - How to Make A Basic Outfit Festive with accessories








Hello All! My name is Holly, and I am so excited about this Christmas Countdown! What a neat idea, right? Many thanks to Lauryn for allowing me to be a part of this Christmas season on her blog!

I know during the Holiday season we're all jetting off to family gatherings, holiday parties, and church events (and taking LOTS of pictures). So, I wanted to bring you a few simple ways to jazz up your favorite winter/Christmas ensembles.









One of my favorite outfits for this season is a large, over-sized sweater and black skinnies or jeggings. Below, I will show you different ways to play up or play down an outfit for your holiday ventures. A simple addition of a scarf, combat boots or top knot hair style, can totally transform your look. Of course, use these tips to fit your style. You may not have a black and gray sweater, like the one I'm wearing, but you may have a favorite cream cable-knit, beautiful, fur vest, or even a holiday dress! These are merely suggestions to switch up your favorite outfit, for many occasions!

Here I am wearing a black and gray over-sized, striped sweater with black jeggings and black flats. You could definitely wear this as is, and it would be a cute and simple outfit.
Sweater: JC Penney (Thank you Black Friday!)
Jeggings: Levi Brand
Flats: Urban Outfitters




Now, that we've got the "base of our outfit", so to speak, let's accessorize!

Here, I decided to trade out the black flats for a pair of metallic silver combat-style boots and some thick boot-socks. I really like the way the flowy, girly sweater and the masculine military boot, contrast with each other.
Socks: Not sure of the brand, however you can find socks like these at most stores, places to check - TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Forever21 & Target.
Boots: TJ Maxx - Brand "Dirty Laundry"

 
 

I find that adding a cute slouchy beanie to the mix, gives an effortless, casual feel. I have been on the search for the perfect slouchy beanie and finally found this beaut! You definitely don't have to wear a charcoal gray beanie with an outfit like this. You could wear pretty much any color, due to the rest of the outfit being neutral.
Beanie: American Eagle


 
 


Chunky knit (or crochet, in this case) scarves are one of my all time favorite holiday accessories. They can totally liven-up an outfit and add some amazing color. Here is a rusty orange-colored scarf that is sure to keep you warm, while you're at the Christmas tree lot, or Home Depot...wherever you're purchasing that green pine, for the season!
Scarf: Crocheted by yours truly, scarves of this nature can be found at most stores, check out: Target, Loft, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohls, & Forever21


 

Brown, riding-style boots, are the epitome of the fall and winter season. These are so fun and casual, and would be great for a night out looking a Christmas lights, with the family or going out for hot chocolate with friends! Especially liking the red detailing on the zipper.
Brown riding-style boots: Kohls (I think) last year.


 

I am generally a pretty simple person, when it comes to jewelry. I don't usually wear much at all, BUT this Agate Druzy Rock necklace from MaudeC.etsy.com (And you can buy the necklace HERE) is amazing and I couldn't leave it out! It's so simple and dainty but still a bit rugged and unfinished looking, which I think contrasts well with this outfit!
Rock Necklace: Maude C.'s etsy shop


Ankle Booties are a great alternative to heels. They generally have a nice thick heel and aren't too high, so most people are able to wear them. Fun side note, you could get a pair of cute patterned socks and tuck them in under your pants. That way when you sit down and your ankle shows, rather than your leg showing you'll see the cute socks! Anyway - these are really nice and comfy and I wear them all the time, with pretty much everything!
Booties: Kohl's


The TOP KNOT. I'm sure everyone and their sister has heard of, seen a tutorial for and even tried out the top knot hair style. Admittedly I was a tad bit skeptical when I first saw it hit fashion magazines, and pinterest. But, one day, I just decided "NO, I am going to try this out!" and I've never looked back! I wear this hairstyle, on average - about 2-4 times a week! It's so quick and easy and takes no time at all. It's a great way to keep your hair out of the way and if you're working with 2nd or 3rd day hair, this is perfect for you!


 

 

I hope this gave you all some ideas for your holiday wardrobe! I like to think of getting dressed, as shopping my own closet. Take "inventory" so to speak, of your closet, to see what you've got hiding in there. You may have some pieces that you've either forgotten about or weren't sure how to wear. I say, just play around with them and see what you can come up with, to spice up your holiday wears.

All pictures were taken by the wonderfully talented Lauryn, herself! Thank you all for checking out this post and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

XOXO,
Holly

No comments: