December 14, 2013

Advent No.14: Christmas with Ruth

Ryn Here, I love this girl so much! Her name is Ruth, and we've actually never met in person! We met through a #coasttocoast challenge on instagram. I have only seen pictures of her, but She's just gorgeous! She's just a stunner! Is it weird to say, I want to be like her? err probably! But I just love her heart and I want to get to know this girl more! and hopefully I'll make it up to Seattle soon to meet her in person ; ) Here are her answers to my Christmas interview!

1. What does Christmas mean to you?
To be honest I’m not exactly sure, and mostly because it feels like it changes every year. This year it means that I get to go back to see my family in the Midwest and we all get to be together, which has become more meaningful to all of us after losing my brother in 2012.


2. What is your favorite thing about Christmas?
Since I was a child my favorite thing about Christmas was getting to see loved ones that I might not get to see often. Whether its cousins or friends who come back into town for the holidays, it’s always been something I’ve looked forward to.



3. What is your day to day "uniform" for winter?
Layers! You can find me wearing thermals, chunky sweaters, scarves and hats during the cold winter months. I love being warm, so the more layers the better!



4. What are your top 3 beauty/makeup essentials?
    1) Urban Decay Eye Primer
    2) Dior skin Nude Concealer
    3) Clinique Mascara



5. What is your favorite Holiday food dish?
I’m probably more of a weird one, because I’ve actually never really liked “holiday food” except for the treats. I do always look forward to a little peppermint bark every year.




6. What is your most favorite Christmas tradition?
Since I was a kid I’ve loved going to the candlelight Christmas Eve service at church. There is just something special about a room full of candles and everyone singing Christmas carols that I have always enjoyed.  



7. What are your Top 5 Christmas movies you like to watch?
Not sure if all of these count as Christmas movies, but I seem to watch them around then.
  1. The Holiday
  2. The Nutcracker (there is an old movie version I’ve loved)
  3. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  4. Lord of the Rings
  5. Elf



8. What gets you in the mood for the holidays?
I’d have to say putting up the decorations. As a kid I loved it when my mom would get all the decorations out of the attic and help decorate. My brothers and I would fight over who got to decorate the fireplace mantel every time. I still love doing that and finding new ways of creating decorations every year. Pinterest has been great for inspiration.





9. Describe your worst fashion faux pas? 
I’m pretty sure I’ve had a few, but the one that comes to my mind has to be my phase of wearing a dress over jeans, flare leg jeans at that. I look back at those photos and wonder what I was thinking.




10. Which do you prefer, velvet or corduroy? Explain why.
Corduroy. I’ve always liked it and velvet reminds me of bad childhood outfits.  



11. Name 3 items on your Christmas list?
1) Patterned socks
2) Polaroid film
3) Subscription to Vogue or Allure  




12. What makes your home extra cozy for winter?
Candles. I love how a warm a sent like hazelnut or vanilla candles can make a home seem cozy, and add some yummy smells too.



13. What are your top 3 things you've been eyeing this season. (Housewares, fashion, beauty, etc.)
1) J Crew coats
2) Pretty paper goods from Rifle Paper Co.
3) A pair of 70s flare leg jeans



14. Name 3 things you are gifting others with?
1. Gift set from Sephora
2. Clothes
3. Favorite treats



15. Do you like surprises or do you like to know what you're receiving?
I think surprises are the best, but at times there is part of me that wants to know what I’m getting.






16. What is/are your favorite store(s)? And why?  
1) Ruche
They have so many lovely and affordable pieces
2) Forever 21
They have the best sweaters and jeans
3) J Crew
Even though I can’t really afford to shop there, I love its classy style and how well fitting the clothes are.




17. Describe the perfect outfit?
To me the perfect outfit is one that is comfortable, yet stylish. It should fit well to flatter your body and be something that makes you feel amazing while wearing it.






18. What is your favorite perfume/scent?
I’ve always had a thing for either Clinique Happy Heart or DKNY Green Apple, but sadly a few years ago I developed sensitive skin and can no longer wear perfume.



19. Do you prefer to light candles or use battery operated candles? Which scented candles do you like at the moment?
Definitely lighted candles and this time of year Hazelnut and Vanilla are a favorite.



20. Do prefer heels or flats? Any brands you like?
I tend to wear more flats than heels. I have found BC footwear and Steve Madden to be a favorite shoe brand.



21. Do you have any blogs you like to read?
Clementine Daily, Esther from the sticks, A Beautiful Mess, Lala Lovely and Talia Fuhrman.



22. What are your favorite Christmas tunes? Any albums that are on repeat this year?
The Civil Wars or Sleeping at Last’s Christmas albums can be found on repeat in our house from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas.



23. Do you shop on etsy? If so, can you recommend 3 shops you like?
I do from time to time and the 3 shops I have enjoyed are.
  1. Esther from the sticks
  2. Pie n the sky
  3. TopHome



24. Do you like Pinterest? If so, what do you pin more of: Home, style or cooking?
I definitely enjoy Pinterest and mosty pin style inspiration. At times I go back to my style board when I can’t figure out what to wear and it can sometimes help give me an idea to try.



25. What is your signature color for nails/lips this season?
For nails my go to is either red or dark grey and lips I tend to stick with coral or rose colored pinks.



26. What is your favorite scripture?
I have a few, but in the current season of life I’m in Ecclesiastes 3:11 has been a favorite. Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.”



27. What is your ultimate Christmas carol?
O Come O Come Emmanuel or O Holy Night  



28. Do you prefer to give or to receive more?
I prefer to give more. I love getting to see the reaction when someone receives something they’ve been wanting or that means a lot to them.



29. What has been the best Christmas gift you've ever received so far? 
My engagement ring! Even though my husband proposed the day after Christmas, it still counts as the best gift to me.




30. Any charities you're giving to this year?
I haven’t picked one yet, but I try to find something to give to in memory of my brother Daniel. He was always giving to people, and I think he would have wanted that.


I hope you all have an amazing holiday & enjoy every minute of your loved ones!
-ryn

No comments: