December 24, 2013

Advent No.24 & Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies: Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies


I am honored to share a cookie recipe with ya'll! Dominique from the blog Gusto & Grace asked me if I would like to contribute to the 12 days of Christmas she's hosting! and I definitely want to join in on the fun! Each weekday since the 10th of December, 12 bloggers including myself, have/will all post(ed) delicious looking cookies on each of our sites. You need to go to each site to get the recipes...But I will warn you, Prepare to drool & get your oven mitts out!

Here’s the schedule:

I myself am a homemade fruit cake kind of girl all the way, but I do like me some cookies, don't get me wrong! And the dough!  I had the choice of making espresso chocolate chip cookies or Neiman Marcus cookies, but chose to make the coffee ones! : ) but just for you, I'll add the the Neiman's cookies down below....

I am a coffee connoisseur. So when coffee is in a cookie... OH MY! 
I came across this recipe from my friend Sally, which she had made at one of the events we both attended years ago. and I fell hard for them. They are delish! But they are dark, rich and adored! (just how I like my men...JK...well sort of! haha) And so easy to make!

Here are the directions:



Serves 50-55 cookies
  • 2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 1/2cups flour
  • 3/4cups unsweetened cocoa powder
  • teaspoon baking soda
  • teaspoon Kosher salt
  • tablespoons instant espresso powder (like Medaglia D'Oro, or similar)
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350



2. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then, add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition to make sure they are well combined.


3. In a seperate bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder. Use a whisk to make sure the dry ingredients are well mixed.



4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix everything until the ingredients are fully combined, but do not over beat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips.



5. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. (or just butter a cookie sheet) using a 1 1/2" ice cream scoop, or rounded teaspoon, drop dough on the sheet 2" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve.

*I would have liked to have used coconut sugar, but I couldn't find any in the pantry... But coconut sugar has a really coffee like taste when heated, so it would've been perfect. I did however use regular instant coffee from trader joe's but you can use any brand of instant coffee. (Don't think you can use regular coffee and grind up the beans, it's not the same as instant coffee, trust me I've done this before!) and I used Spelt flour. Spelt flour is a gluten free option that for you if you are gluten intolerant. 
 
Enjoy it with a nice glass of eggnog or be extreme and go for a cup a joe with yo cookie!
Hope you enjoy! -Ryn 

Oh and here is the urban legend and cookie recipe for the Neiman Marcus, hope you enjoy! ; )

My daughter & I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". {EDITORIAL COMMENT: Neiman's is a VERY EXPENSIVE department store in the United States a.k.a. Needless Markup}.

It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not." "Well", I said, would you let me buy the recipe?"

With a cute smile, she said, "Yes." I asked how much, and she responded, "only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I said with approval, "just add it to my tab."

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe $250.00."

That's outrageous!! I called Neiman's Accounting Dept. and told them the waitress said it was "two-fifty," which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any *POSSIBLE* interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not refund my money, because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe - we absolutely will not refund your money at this point."

I explained to her the criminal statutes which govern fraud in Texas, I threatened to refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the State's Attorney General for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want, we don't give a crap, and we're not refunding your money."

I waited, thinking of how I could get even, or even try and get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250.00 worth of fun."

I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus for free. She replied," I wish you wouldn't do this." I said, "Well, you should have thought of that before you ripped me off", and slammed down the phone on her. So, here it is!!!

Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 dollars for this... I don't want Neiman-Marcus to *EVER* get another penny off of this recipe....

Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe

(Recipe may be halved):
2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal**
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

** Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 

1 comment:

Rated Supplements said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, I've been looking for something like this for ages online!
Check out mine after reading this.
Rated Supplements