December 5, 2013

Advent No.5: Christmas Cooking with Jenny

 
 
My favorite Holiday Recipes


What is this Christmas season without freshly baked cookies, hot cocoa and the smell of a freshly cut Christmas tree in your house? Well, it can be done without these things, but no doubt it makes for a warmer season.


You always have those tried and true recipes that find their way into your “traditions”. I want to share a couple of those with you. Maybe they’ll become your tradition too.


The first I want to share with you is Cranberry Raisin Bread Pudding.


Oh.My.


I seriously could eat a whole pan of this if someone didn’t stop me.


First of all, I like bread….like, a whole lot.


You can take the chocolate just give me the carbs. That’s my view on it.


So it’s easy to see why this is one of my favorites.


You can only get fresh cranberries at the grocery store around Fall and Winter. So as soon as I see those little cranberry bags of goodness, I immediately think: PUDDING, MADE WITH BREAD? YES.

In this recipe, it adds a lemon-vanilla sauce to go on top of it. To be honest, I don’t think it needs it, but my sister says it is boring without it.  I am not a fan of lemon-tasting things, so that could be why I don’t think it needs it.


My recommendation would be to make the sauce the first time. Then you can decide.


Here is my first favorite Holiday recipe:
 
CRANBERRY RAISIN BREAD PUDDING
 



2 large eggs 
1/2 cup sugar 
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted 
3/4 cup half-and-half 
3/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional-I never do)
1 (16-ounce) raisin bread loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup fresh cranberries 
Lemon-Vanilla Sauce


Preparation


Lightly grease 8 in square pan 


Stir together eggs and next 6 ingredients; spoon pudding mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
Bake bread pudding at 350° for 25 minutes. Serve with Lemon-Vanilla Sauce



LEMON VANILLA SAUCE 


1 vanilla bean, split
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Preparation


Cook vanilla bean, water, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth and thickened.
Stir in butter and remaining ingredients, and cook until thoroughly heated. Remove vanilla bean.



I hope you went and made this immediately!!! And I hope it filled your heart with holiday cheer. Now go grab yourself another serving. This time, put it over some vanilla ice cream.
You are welcome.


The second recipe I want to share with you is something my family makes every Christmas morning.


We got this recipe from a family friend. Every time I eat this, it makes me want to go to their house and hug them.


It’s that good.




Mexican Breakfast Casserole




2 7 ounce cans Chopped Green Chilis
6 Corn tortillas, cut in 1 inch strips
1 lb cooked breakfast sausage (turkey or chicken ok)
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar)
12 large eggs
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt,
½ teaspoon garlic powder,
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cumin
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced thin


The day before, Grease 9x13 pan. Layer half of the tortillas, sausage, chilis and cheese in the pan. Repeat Layers.


Mix eggs, mlik, and seasonings In a medium bowl and pour over the casserole. Arrange tomatoes on top of the casserole. Saran wrap and place in fridge overnight.


The next day, Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.


Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.



Easy! And amazing.


So I hope you enjoyed some of my favorite Holiday Recipes.
Thank you dear Lauryn for allowing me to be a part of your amazing blog!


Friends, hope you have a Christmas that is MERRY and BRIGHT and full of good food, family and fellowship.


Xoxo
jenny

No comments: