December 21, 2013

Advent No.21: Nutcrackering with Nicole

I met Nicole years ago... Maybe 14 or 15 years? I was always friends with her younger sister Dara, But I've always liked Nicole and now we're friends! Yay! She's now the market director for J.Crew in Dallas TX. She's Gorgeous(like model status), She's talented, she has two adorable kiddos, an amazing husband, a great job(obviously!) & She Loves the Lord! What more could you possibly want!? Oh and did I mention She LOVES Christmas?
I had her answer a few questions about Christmas & Fashion... two things that I myself like! and so does Nicole! Read & Be Merry! - Ryn
 
1. What does Christmas mean to you?
Christmas has always been my favorite time of year.  The reason for the season is celebrating Christ and his ultimate love for us, and the greatest gift we've all been given - His Son.


2. What is your favorite thing about Christmas?
Family, food and just the general feeling of the season.  As soon as Nov. gets into full swing, I turn up the Christmas carols and start pinning away!!  From decor to this year's must-have gift wrap...I absolutely can't get enough!!

3. What is your day to day "uniform" for winter?
I work in an environment where I have to be dressed up every day (maybe "have" to is a bit of an exaggeration...:), so my casual is not everyone else's idea of cas!  My favorite pieces for this season are my J. Crew pixie pants, Blythe silk blouses and an excursion quilted vest.  I also am absolutely obsessed with my Rag and Bone Newbury booties!!
4. What are your top 3 beauty/makeup essentials?
I love (love!!) my Dior Air Flash makeup, Too Faced bronzer and Mac Creme Blush!!

5. What is your favorite Holiday food dish?
I will have to say it's a tie between the incredible Italian sandwiches (fresh prosciutto, salami, provolone cheese, crusty Italian bread and prepared peppers...nom nom) my family makes and my mother-in-law's cornbread stuffing (my mouth waters just typing it :).
6. What is your most favorite Christmas tradition?
With a 3 and 5-year-old all of our Christmas traditions have Christmas traditions!  I am a bit of a Christmas nut :), so lots of things are very special.  New pjs for Christmas Eve are a tradition my grandmother had with all of the grandkids (there were some beauts!), and it's definitely one I continue with my kids.  This year we ordered from Chasing Fireflies and had them personalized.  I absolutely CAN NOT wait to see their faces when they open them!!  There's nothing more fun than watching them race downstairs in their holiday pjs to see what's under the tree!!  As you can tell, I love me some Christmas!!!

7. What are your Top 5 Christmas movies you like to watch?
1.  Elf
2.  Scrooge
3.  Miracle on 34th St.
4.  It's a Wonderful Life
5.  White Christmas
8. What gets you in the mood for the holidays?
It doesn't take much.  Everything from cooler weather to Breakfast with Santa at Neimans - I love it all!

9. Describe your worst fashion faux pas?
Oh goodness, this is a tough one!  I think there are ultimately no fashion rules, however you have to know your body and stay true to your style.  When I think of iconic style, Jennifer Aniston always pops into mind.  You rarely see her in prints or anything too fussy...solid colors and great-fitting denim are staples.  Silky, shiny simple hair and natural makeup always complete her look.  I think she's a great person to emulate, specifically if fashion feels daunting!  I regularly look to Olivia Palermo when I'm conjuring up special event outfits.  I love her use of prints, fur and leather while still keeping a classic Jackie O vibe.  Ultimately, noone did it better than Jackie O (my first fashion love!!).

10. Which do you prefer, velvet or corduroy? Explain why.
Velvet...no question...velvet!!  Corduroy always seems like a good idea to me, until I put it on.  I swear, it's like adding 10 lbs to my hips - not an area that needs added girth!!  I love cord details on barn jackets, etc., but that's where it ends!!

11. Name 3 items on your Christmas list?
Christmas is all about the kiddos in our house, but my running list includes the following:  a Goyard bag, David Yurman bracelets (in all shapes, sizes and diamonds ;) and Ancient Greek sandals.

12. What makes your home extra cozy for winter?
My angels and incredible hubs are the only things I need to make my home cozy for the winter!  But, a blazing fire, flocked tree (real!) and J. Crew PJs are a nice touch!!

13. What are your top 3 things you've been eyeing this season. (Housewares, fashion, beauty, etc.)
My favorite 3 purchases this season are definitely my Sorel for J. Crew Joan of Arc boots, J. Crew sweaters and Parker booties.

14. Name 3 things you are gifting others with?
This is hard to imagine, but it's all J. Crew!!  I'm loving the pjs this year, blue and white ikat jewelry dish and a giftcard is always the perfect gift!!

15. Do you like surprises or do you like to know what you're receiving?
My husband gives the most thoughtful gifts.  That being said, he knows that I often have my eye on something specific, so there are few surprises!!  For our last anniversary he bought me the most beautiful vintage Chanel necklace and a vintage Louis Vuitton cross body bag that's not in production anymore.  I treasure both things (and wear them as often as possible!!).

16. What is/are your favorite store(s)? And why?
I feel so blessed to work for a company where I'm also a loyal client.  J. Crew focuses on quality in product and customer service...hard to go wrong shopping there!  I also love Neiman Marcus for special pieces and Horchow for home goods.  There are lots of Horchow items on my "big girl" wishlist!!

17. Describe the perfect outfit?
Right now, a collection silk blouse from J. Crew, fur vest and leather pixie pants with heels/booties makes me feel feminine and dressed up!  Over the summer, I love a great pair of Jimmy Choo wedges with an easy, printed dress.  Madewell carries a great assortment every year!

18. What is your favorite perfume/scent?
Soooo love Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb

19. Do you prefer to light candles or use battery operated candles? Which scented candles do you like at the moment?
I prefer a real fire and real candles...period.  I love Voluspa candles, vert and vanille is my fav scent!!  Bonus - they're really pretty!!

20. Do prefer heels or flats? Any brands you like?
HEELS!!!  My Christian Louboutin Bianca and J. Crew Everly heels are some of my favorite!  It's hard to debate with something that makes you look taller, thinner and a little more sophisticated every time you put them on your feetsies!!

21. Do you have any blogs you like to read?
I like Luella and June, Atlantic Pacific, House of Turquoise and (of course) Styled by Ryn!!

22. What are your favorite Christmas tunes? Any albums that are on repeat this year?
I love some Celine and Mariah this time of year!!  However, my favorite album this year is Wanted by Dara Maclean.  There's not a greater message or voice out there (I'm not biased at all)!!!

23. Do you shop on etsy? If so, can you recommend 3 shops you like?
N/A

 24. Do you like Pinterest? If so, what do you pin more of: Home, style or cooking?
I think I have an unhealthy obsession with Pinterest. :)  I pin everything from outfit inspirations and hair styles to decor.  I don't discriminate!

25. What is your signature color for nails/lips this season?
I go back to Lincoln Park in the Dark by OPI as soon as the weather turns cool.  It's just such a great nail color and always makes me feel a touch more sophisticated!  I typically keep my lip color pretty nude, with just a touch of color.  Mac's Japanese Maple is absolutely amazing!!  However, you can NEVER go wrong with a great red.  Extreme by Dior is one of my favorites.  

26. What is your favorite scripture?
I Corinthians 13 is definitely my favorite.  We are nothing without God's love.  Literally useless, empty vessels.  It's a constant reminder when I want to get offended easily, or not see the good in a situation - God's love is constant and unconditional.

27. What is your ultimate Christmas carol?
O Holy Night.

28. Do you prefer to give or to receive more?
There is absolutely nothing better than seeing the looks on my kiddies faces Christmas morn!!  Such wonder and excitement is priceless and my greatest gift!!

29. What has been the best Christmas gift you've ever received so far?
There's not a single material thing that compares to Christmas at home with my precious family.  Every year, Gigi (my mother) has a birthday cake to celebrate Jesus' birthday with the kids.  That's truly my greatest gift...celebrating the true meaning of Christmas!

30. Any charities you're giving to this year?

No comments: