December 3, 2013

Advent No.3: Chatting with Caitlin

 


Hey there, it's Ryn. I asked my lovely friend Caitlin, to answer a few questions about Christmas & a wee bit of fashion... Hope you enjoy! Also you can follow her on instagram: @thecaitlinhelena and www.withcaitlin.blogspot.com : )
 
 
1. What does Christmas mean to you?
In the show Community, the character Abed says "The meaning of Christmas is that Christmas has meaning." That sounds a little abstract but that explains exactly how I feel.
Not to get too deep into it... I went to a Messianic Synagogue for a few years where they don't celebrate Christmas and while I went there I didn't celebrate it either. Their reasoning is that the birth of Christ is not a Biblical Moed (or God appointed occasion - the events He explicitly instructed the Jews to observe. The death and resurrection of Christ is what they celebrate at Passover) and Christmas was originally planned on Dec 25 to replace a pagan holiday that the church wanted people to stop celebrating . Also, according to the Jewish Calendar, Jesus' birth actually falls in September or so...
Anyway, after growing up with my mom trying her hardest to be creative in keep Christmas Jesus centered in our family and then essentially taking a hiatus from Christmas for a couple of years, I came to a point where I re-evaluated how I wanted to celebrate the season. Between me and God and not just what my environment was doing. 
I came to the realization that, no matter when you choose to celebrate it, remembering the coming of our SAVIOR is a wonderful, admirable, and recommended thing to do! And that this time of the year just begs to be celebrated! We get cozy with loves ones, decorate our homes in a special way, and special scents are in the air. We cook things we normally wouldn't and take comfort and gain warmth from hot cider and cocoa. It is a time of giving. Our jobs give us time off to be with family and some of us get a little extra cash in the form of a Christmas bonus. People remember what it is to think about what other people like and want.
I love 'holiday brain' in the workplace where people are easily distracted by a flurry of new snow out of a window and take time to leave little gifts on co-workers desks. People do special baking projects and those who would never sit down and paint a piece of art decorate gingerbread men or cut out paper snowflakes.
Christmas is such a meaningful time for so many different reasons and though the reasons vary slightly from person to person, the general air of excitement and celebration is unifying and unique to Christmas.

2. What is your favorite thing about Christmas?
Cozy pajama cuddles and the smell of fresh greenery in the house. 
Also, I have been looking forward to meaningful moments with cashiers as I wish them a genuine Merry Christmas. It seems to mean so much more than just, "Have a nice day." 

3. What is your day to day "uniform" for winter?
Cozy sweater, skinny jeans, wool socks, oxfords. I have a couple favorite scarves that I wear like crazy too. 

4. What are your top 3 beauty/makeup essentials?
(Good mascara and an eyelash curler go without saying)
Lip stain for everyday wear. I use Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain all day. My colors for this season are Precious and Adore.
Liquid black eyeliner for the perfect cat eye. I use a healthy alternative brand, Zuzu Luxe, because I had an allergic reaction to drug store brands.
A good pigment cream blush. NYX is a great inexpensive option. You can find it at Urban Outfitters.

5. What is your favorite Holiday food dish?
Mashed potatoes!! I love potatoes in any form and mashed is always a good way to eat them. 

6. What is your most favorite Christmas tradition?
I haven't gotten to do it in a long time but, until I was in 4th grade, I lived in Central New York and we got to go to the tree farm to pick out and cut down our own Christmas tree. We brought a saw and wandered around until we spotted the perfect one. As a little kid, I enjoyed playing in the snow while we searched and sometimes my mom or brother would pull me in a sled. It was fun to analyze the trees and make sure we got one with no thin spots and a nice point on the top. 

7. What are your Top 5 Christmas movies you like to watch?
White Christmas is pretty much the only one I watch. Maybe Christmas in Connecticut too. I'm not a sappy Christmas movie girl.  

8. What gets you in the mood for the holidays?
The chilly weather and cozy sweaters. I love sweaters!!

9. Describe your worst fashion faux pas? 
I used to always slick my hair back into a tight ponytail. I've spent more of my life than I would like to admit looking like a bald little boy!

10. Which do you prefer, velvet or corduroy? Explain why.
I don't have any of either. I say corduroy because it is warm. Sometimes I want something warmer and cozier than jeans and some good cords, I believe, would do the trick. 
That said, I would love to have a long or 3/4 sleeve forest green velvet a-line cocktail dress for Christmas parties. 

11. Name 3 items on your Christmas list?
Harney & Sons Classic Tea Collection
Shawl knit cardigan
Suede block heel ankle boots

12. What makes your home extra cozy for winter?
Candles (I don't have a fireplace so they'll have to suffice) and plenty of blankets! My husband doesn't understand why I always want to buy more knit throw blankets. I want all the blankets!!

13. What are your top 3 things you've been eyeing this season. (Housewares, fashion, beauty, etc.)
Black opaque tights to go under shorter dresses
Knit throw blankets
Sweet white collared blouse to go under sweaters

14. Name 3 things you are gifting others with?
Calendars with pictures from my honeymoon in Greece for family. 
Homemade linen sprays with essential oils for co-workers
Round Rock Honey Lip Balm for stocking stuffers

15. Do you like surprises or do you like to know what you're receiving? 
I am all for surprises!! I am not the person shaking gifts to guess what's inside. 

16. What is/are your favorite store(s)? And why?
I love shopping online. 
Zappos is awesome for shoes and it's always free shipping both ways. If you call in an order and get VIP web access it's overnight shipping!
Amazon is good too because it has practically everything for good prices and you can qualify for free shipping on certain items. 
Etsy is another favorite of mine because I can get unique stuff and support small businesses. 

17. Describe the perfect outfit?
Ugh. That's tough. My tastes change based on the occasion and my mood. I usually dream up a perfect outfit for a specific event and end up frustrated because my budget doesn't keep up with my imagination and fashion tastes.

18. What is your favorite perfume/scent?
I never wear perfume but I love to wear essential oils. I use Young Living's Thieves oil (which is a clove/cinnamon-ey blend) for deodorant. I've had people tell me I smell like Christmas. And it fights off illness!

19. Do you prefer to light candles or use battery operated candles? Which scented candles do you like at the moment?
Lighted candles hands down. The warmth and scent from a real candle is most of the point for me!
I prefer unscented beeswax candles. The pure, sweet, honey smell is all I need. I've also read that burning pure beeswax candles helps purify the air. 

20. Do prefer heels or flats? Any brands you like?
I prefer the look of heels but they have to be comfortable for me. I like that comfort brands like Born and Clark's are making comfy heels that are also very cute! I even have a pair of cycling heels by Merrell. 

21. Do you have any blogs you like to read?
I am always inspired by Gusto and Grace. I also like Gluten Free Goddess (best GF pancake recipe!). 

22. What are your favorite Christmas tunes? Any albums that are on repeat this year?
She & Him's Christmas Album is darling and a new 'classic'.
I also like to listen to Celtic renditions of Classic Christmas songs. They can be very beautiful and ethereal. 
There's always moments though where I need Bing Crosby to croon me a tune or liven things up with a silly Christmas song. 

23. Do you shop on etsy? If so, can you recommend 3 shops you like?   
Etsy is so good! Don't make me pick just 3 shops I like!! Here are 3 shops each for several different categories:
Stationary: Sincerely Yours Paper, CharmAndGumption, The Frantic Meerkat
Jewelry: Truche, LemonSweetJewelry, ManiDesigns
Men's Accessories: Fox and Brie, CelebrateToday (hand stamped cuff links), Harris Tweed Products and Gifts (Scotswahae)
Technology: Schuttenworks, Anima Shop, Smartwood Gallery
(And a bonus for reeeeally cute kids clothes: FleurandDot)

24. Do you like Pinterest? If so, what do you pin more of: Home, style or cooking?
My Pinterest habits border on addiction. I'm always referring back to what I've pinned though so I rationalize that it's enriching my life. 
My habits vary depending on the season and if I'm focusing on a specific project. I'm always pinning recipes and fashion ideas as I see them and right now, having just gotten married and moved into my first apartment, I have pinned a lot of home decor ideas. 
This time of year I definitely have a secret board with Christmas gifts I'm planning on getting people.

25. What is your signature color for nails/lips this season?
Red or Wine lips and taupe or matte black nails for occasions and going out. 
For every day I stick to a pinkish nude lip and clean nails. I keep it simple when I am required to wake up early and look presentable. 

26. What is your favorite scripture?
Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."
So many times I just want to call out "Help!". To know that God is not just there for me, but that He is my VERY PRESENT HELP. I take refuge in Him and find strength. He is my answer and I can always be confident that he is helping me.

27. What is your ultimate Christmas carol?
Away In A Manger has a special place for me. My mom used to sing me to sleep with it all year long when I was a child. And when I was sick, she would rock me and sing it. I vividly remember hearing her beautiful singing voice resonate in her chest where my head would lie while we rocked together.
My favorite to hear is Carol of the Bells. It can be done so beautifully in many different ways.

28. Do you prefer to give or to receive more?
Of course I love getting gifts but it is so thrilling to give a gift you're proud of and have put thought and/or work into. There's nothing like it!

29. What has been the best Christmas gift you've ever received so far? 
I can't think of any one gift. This year will be my first married Christmas and being able to make new traditions and find our own niche I think will be a very special gift.

30. Any charities you're giving to this year? 
Starting last year my husband and I decided to always put together Shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. We have so much fun doing it and now you can track which country your box is sent to and better imagine what child got your gift. 

Caitlin, Thank you so much for writing for me! You're the best! Merry Christmas!
 
Merry Christmas to you all! - Ryn

No comments: