December 7, 2013

Advent No.7: Deck The Halls with Dominique

 


I’m Dominique, blogger at www.gustoandgraceblog.com. My husband and I live in Austin, Texas with our dog, Nola and beta fish, Shapiro. Gusto & Grace is a creative outlet that mirrors my DIY approach to life and challenges me to live creatively, even when I don’t feel inspired. My hope for Gusto & Grace is that it becomes a supportive community for creatives and a source of inspiration for all who read it. I hope to live with a little gusto and a lot of grace.

1. What does Christmas mean to you? Christmas means being festive and merry. It means celebrating the birth of Jesus (cake and all). It means spending time with family. And now, in my first year of marriage, it means making new traditions. 

2. What is your favorite thing about Christmas? I love the decorating. I love my collection of Christmas ornaments and am excited to build my collection of Christmas decor year after year. This year, so far, I have added some Martha Stewart glittered garlands, a 3 ft silver to gold ombre tree, and a mini silver tinsel tree with vintage ornaments. I'd love a collection of large bottlebrush trees and a vintage ornament wreath. 

3. What is your day to day "uniform" for winter? Jeans, a cardigan, and smoking slippers. 

4. What are your top 3 beauty/makeup essentials? Face wash, my Bobbi Brown compact with blush and basic eyeshadows, and Revlon Colorstay eyeliner. I also think everyone should have a Sonicare toothbrush. 

5. What is your favorite Holiday food dish? Peanut Butter Kiss cookies. 

6. What is your most favorite Christmas tradition? Receiving a new Christmas ornament from my mom each year and (formerly) attending my friends' annual Christmas in Black and White parties. 

7. What are your Top 5 Christmas movies you like to watch? Elf, Home Alone, The Santa Claus, the claymation Rudolf and Frosty, and Miracle on 34th Street. 

8. What gets you in the mood for the holidays? It doesn't take much. I am a Christmas lover and start shopping for gifts and decor as early as September. 

9. Describe your worst fashion faux pas? I think the worst in the world is socks with sandals, but mine is probably not spending much time on my hair. 

10. Which do you prefer, velvet or corduroy? Explain why. Velvet, because corduroy drapes would just be wrong and IF I wore either on my person, a velvet blazer would beat corduroy pants. 

11. Name 3 items on your Christmas list? Restoration Hardware giftcards, books, and vintage jadeite mugs.

12. What makes your home extra cozy for winter? Land O Lakes Mint Hot Chocolate and the blanket warmer on my wishlist.

13. What are your top 3 things you've been eyeing this season. (Housewares, fashion, beauty, etc.) Rose gold wedges, Kim Seybert Christmas stockings, and a French bottle rack. 

14. Name 3 things you are gifting others with? Ooh! I wish I could tell, but I know some of the people I have purchased presents for read StyledByRyn. 

15. Do you like surprises or do you like to know what you're receiving? Anyone who knows me knows I like to know. I also like to buy and tell.

16. What is/are your favorite store(s)? And why? Target and Anthropologie. Target, for affordability and collaborations, Anthropologie for inspiration. 

17. Describe the perfect outfit? A blouse with fun details (my favorites have swiss dots and scallops), a jeweled necklace (think j. crew), a high waisted skirt, cameo earrings, and flats. 

18. What is your favorite perfume/scent? Lavender/mint essential oils blend.

19. Do you prefer to light candles or use battery operated candles? Which scented candles do you like at the moment? I can't remember ever using a battery operated candle. What's the point? My favorite scent in Voluspa's Goji Tarocco Orange

20. Do prefer heels or flats? Any brands you like? Flats. My favorite pairs are Charles Phillip, Vera Wang, and Pilco and the Letterpress

21. Do you have any blogs you like to read? I read so many blogs every day... A few favorites are Young House Love, Style Me Pretty Living, Sprinkle Bakes, and the Hunted Interior.

22. What are your favorite Christmas tunes? Any albums that are on repeat this year? She and HIm's Christmas Album is my favorite. I also love Michael Buble singing any Christmas song, Dave Barnes' Christmas Tonight and Dara Maclean's Bethlehem Skies. 

23. Do you shop on etsy? If so, can you recommend 3 shops you like?  Jennifer Morris Beads, BackToZero, and ForYoo

24. Do you like Pinterest? If so, what do you pin more of: Home, style or cooking? Oh Pinterest.... it might be easier to say what I pin least which is style. I pin a lot of home decor, DIY, and recipes. Follow me! http://www.pinterest.com/gustoandgrace/boards/

25. What is your signature color for nails/lips this season? Since I've got big lips and a big mouth, I've always felt like joker wearing lipstick and mainly worn sheer lipgloss. I need to get over that. For nails, I'm loving deep red and nude. 

26. What is your favorite scripture? I love Proverbs 31:25. It is a great reminder of values to model myself after. 

27. What is your ultimate Christmas carol? O Holy Night. It has been my favorite since I sang and signed it at church when I was nine or ten. 

28. Do you prefer to give or to receive more? I enjoy giving more, but every year, without fail, I receive more than I could have dreamed of giving. 

29. What has been the best Christmas gift you've ever received so far? That's tough! Maybe the dollhouse kit my (now husband) gave me last Christmas. http://gustoandgrace.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/christmas-in-july-and-my-new-house/

30. Any charities you're giving to this year? Other than dropping a few coins in the Salvation Army buckets, I haven't planned any donations yet, but am looking for opportunities.
 
Merry Christmas! -D

No comments: